Friday, January 16, 2004

Difficulty

Second question of the Friday 5 this week is


2. Did you have a senior quote in your high school yearbook?


Mmm...I can understand each single words yet cannot understand what's high school yearbook and what's senior quote in there.
Looking back my Japanese high school life long ago, yes I had a book full of pictures of our 3 year life at high school and all name and address of teachers and students, I can guess the high school yearbook must be this book though "yearbook" sounds rather annual, has no word indicate graduation. And senior quote…...my guess from my experience is graduating students write some words or small sentences or what want to become in future in this yearbook, which I did at graduation from elementary school only. Checking online dictionary, Yearbook seems what I guessed but there is no reference to senior quote.
I have no gaijin boyfriend(s), no gaijin colleague and no close gaijin friends around to ask for in my real life. Ha……..wonder how and when I can confirm my guess..
This is the problem of studying language of alien culture, need journalistic chase to fill the cultural understanding gap behind the words.